Atlantic City High School Athletic Hall of Fame Names Announced
The Atlantic City High School Hall of Fame Association is pleased to announce the 2013 Inductees who will be honored at a Ceremony scheduled for Sunday, May 19, 2013 @ 1:00 pm. The ceremony is free of charge for anyone who wants to attend. The purpose of the Association is to honor players, coaches, individuals and teams who have made a distinctive contribution to the rich athletic history of the High School. The 2013 Induction Class consists of an impressive list of athletes and teams including:
* Lewis Sarkos, Class of 1949, a 1st Team All State Football selection who also excelled in Baseball and went on to play at Trenton State College
* James Brown, Class of 1986, as a punter/kicker on the Football Team, he was selected to the All South Jersey Team and to the Atlantic County Press All Decade Team. As a Tennis player, James was the All South Jersey Player of the Year.
* Bob Garbutt, Jr., Class of 1986, a three sport athlete who excelled in Crew as the “Most Valuable Rower” on the 1986 boat that won the Scholastic National Championship. Bob was an award winning rower at Princeton University.
* Dean Harrison, Class of 1987, among the greatest Baseball players ever to come out of A.C.H.S., he was 1st Team All South Jersey and second team All-State. Dean went on to play at Florida State University.
* Nancy Howarth, Class of 1998, the recipient of 11 Varsity letters, she graduated as the holder of 6 records in Swimming and 1 in Track. She went on to be a star Swimmer at The College of New Jersey.
* Bonita Brown, Class of 1998, the winner of 11 letters in five sports. Bonita scored 1000 points in Basketball and earned 1st Team league honors both her junior and senior years. She was also 1st Team All South Jersey in Tennis.
* Bobby Weiss coached four different sports at the High School including 22 years as Head Coach of the Vikings Football team. During that tenure he received many awards including Coach of the Year from the Press, the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Courier Post. In 1999 Bobby coached State Group 4 Championship Team.
* Boys Basketball Team, 1953-1954, this team set a school record of 19 wins on its way to winning the South Jersey Group 4 Championship.
* Boys Football Team, 1999, with and 11 -1 season record this Viking team went on to win the State Group 4 Championship and earning the number 1 rating in South Jersey.
* JoAnn Hackney Wescoat, Class of 1952, was chosen to receive the Female Athlete Special Distinction Award. While participating at a high level in numerous sports, JoAnn received the Statuette of Life Award and the Old Grad Award among many other recognitions at a time before Females participated on a Varsity level.
* Ron Jordan, Class of 1953, has been chosen to receive the Outstanding Contributor Award for his lifetime of service to Atlantic City High School as a volunteer and fan. Ron has been a role model and mentor for many Atlantic City High School students and athletes.