Hockey Outdoors: Where Do You Want to See an NHL Game Next?
Turns out hockey going back to its roots is exactly what the NHL needed. In fact, the success of the Winter Classic games (and to some extent the Heritage Classic games) have triggered a rebirth for the NHL, which had been experiencing a decline in interest following lockouts in 2004 - 2005 and 2012 - 2013.
However, since first Winter Classic in 2008, fans have really been getting behind an event that, even though it's mid-season, rivals that of the Super Bowl in terms of fan excitement.
This year, the NHL announced plans for a Stadium Series. A collection of games all to played outdoors at non-hockey venues. The Stadium Series kicks off in Los Angeles, of all places, with the L.A. Kings and Anaheim Ducks facing off at Dodger Stadium later this month. The following day will feature the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils at Yankee Stadium. The Series wraps up with the Rangers and New York Islanders at Yankee Stadium on January 29, followed by the Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks at Soldier Field in Chicago on March 1.
So, including the upcoming Stadium Series, here's a list of all the venues where an outdoor NHL hockey game has been played:
- BC Place -- Vancouver, British Columbia
- Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
- Commonwealth Stadium -- Edmonton, Alberta
- Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles, CA
- Fenway Park - Boston, MA
- Heinz Field - Pittsburgh, PA
- McMahon Stadium -- Calgary, Alberta
- Michigan Stadium - Ann Arbor, MI
- Ralph Wilson Stadium - Buffalo, NY
- Soldier Field- Chicago, IL
- Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL
- Yankee Stadium - New York, NY
With next year's Winter Classic slated for Washington D.C. and the next Heritage Classic set for Winnipeg, we were wondering where you'd like to see an NHL game be played. Give us a venue and the teams and we'll share your responses throughout the week.