Sixers Combine News, Notes and Interviews
Much of the attention at the NBA combine is given to the public aspects of the event: the medical and athletic testing, the shooting drills, and the 5-on-5 games, which made a return this season after having been removed from the event in previous years.
The most important part of the combine, however, is what the fans and media don’t see: team interviews.
The NBA allows each team to interview a total of 18 prospects. It’s these private interviews that are most likely to impact a players draft stock.
The Sixers even brought Joel Embiid with them to take part in these interviews, with the Sixers 2014 draft pick, who did not take part in the combine last year, jokingly asking Texas big man Myles Turner why he didn’t go to Kansas.
Who did the Sixers meet with this week? While neither the team nor the NBA has (or will) release a list, these are the players we know that the Sixers talked to:
- D’Angelo Russell, PG, Ohio State
- Stanley Johnson, SF, Arizona
- Justise Winslow, SF, Duke
- Willie Cauley-Stein, C, Kentucky
- Myles Turner, C, Texas
- Kevon Looney, PF, UCLA
- Chris McCullough, PF, Syracuse
- Christian Wood, PF, UNLV
- Jerian Grant, PG, Notre Dame
- Tyler Harvey, SG, Eastern Washington
- George de Paula, PG, Brazil
The Sixers will also conduct a workout before the NBA lottery. Players who have been confirmed as attending this workout are:
- Michael Qualls, SG, Arkansas
- Keifer Sykes, PG, Wisconsin Green Bay
- Terry Rozier, PG, Louisville
I have added these workouts to the Philadelphia 76ers workout tracker.
Follow @DerekBodnerNBA on twitter