The Daily Sports Page
A shootout loss, the return of Danny, JVR update, more on Oswalt, an update on Hawes and Brand, plus the college hoops schedule and more!
Ilya Bryzgalov stopped all 18 shots he faced prior to a shootout, but suffered a 1-0 loss at the hands of the Islanders. Daniel Briere, who was day-to-day with a concussion, was able to play on Tuesday night against the Islanders. Also, James van Riemsdyk is feeling better, concussion symptoms being as they are make it difficult to pinpoint a return to action for him at this time.
Next: Tomorrow vs Toronto Maple Leafs
Head coach Doug Collins said that the Sixers “might be without Spencer Hawes and Elton Brand“ tonight against the Spurs. Brand is dealing with a thumb injury, so the fact he might miss the game isn’t a surprise. Spencer Hawes is listed as doubtful for tonight’s game and is going to get an MRI. Hawes is looking to see if his back issue is related to his Achilles problem.
Next: Tonight vs Spurs
The latest on the Roy Oswalt front:
- Reds GM Walt Jocketty said Tuesday that he’s had no recent discussions with Roy Oswalt’s agent.
- According to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Pirates were “rebuffed” by Roy Oswalt.
- ESPN New York’s Wallace Matthews was told nothing is imminent between the Yankees and Raul Ibanez.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak indicated to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that a Roy Oswalt deal is unlikely.
- WEEI’s Rob Bradford reports that there is “no traction” for a deal between the Red Sox and Roy Oswalt.
Plus former Phillies closer Brad Lidge checked into the Sports Bash to talk about heading to Washington, his 2008 season and more.
|Villanova 74, Providence 72||Box Score | Recap|