Into the Mouth of March Madness
So, reality's likely set in that you're not going to be the next billionaire after the first two days of the NCAA Tournament.
After only 32 games, there are exactly ZERO perfect brackets left in Warren Buffett's widely-participated 'Billion Dollar Challenge'. But despite the blemishes on your bracket, there's still plenty of incredible action left in the NCAA Tournament this weekend.
And as college basketball winds down, it also means the spring sports teams are getting ready for the regular season here in South Jersey. From track and field to baseball to softball to lacrosse and many more, the South Jersey Sports Report will be covering everything on the diamond, the track and the field over the next few months.
Here’s a preview of some of the interviews from this week’s edition of the South Jersey Sports Report:
- A standout football star is one of the many local athletes also gearing up for a spring sport as well. We asked one of the Cape-Atlantic League's best about dedicating his time between two sports, and what's new on the recruiting trail and the teams showing interest in the senior running back
- Press of Atlantic City reporter Mike McGarry reveals some of the biggest winter sports honors handed out in the newspaper's annual awards section, and previews some of the biggest contenders for the 2014 spring sports season
- South Jersey hall of Fame sports reporter Tom Williams recaps the big story-lines from this year's high school basketball season, and what's next for some of South Jersey's best athletes
- One local lacrosse program is gearing up for another state title run, just a year after their best season in school history. We spoke to their head coach about coming up a few goals shy of a New Jersey championship, and how a much younger team can carry on the winning tradition in 2014
- Cape May County Gazette sports reporter Brian Cunniff has more on one former South Jersey baseball player's chances at reaching the major leagues in 2014, and why he believes one local basketball team had their best season in school history despite winning a state title
A very special annual event is set to take place again this weekend in Northfield, to honor the legacy of a local basketball coach. Listen in for a complete listing of event times and activities, and your chance to get your family involved
Listen to this week's show:
John Pampalone, Southern Regional head lacrosse coach
Brian Cunniff, Cape May County Gazette sports reporter
David Lewis, Son of Coach Dave Lewis and founder & organizer of "Dave's Day"
Tom Williams, South Jersey Hall of Fame sports reporter
Mike McGarry, Press of Atlantic City sports reporter
Ryquell Armstead, Millville Thunderbolts senior running back
Be sure to check back next week as we continue our South Jersey Athlete of the Week, and crown our first winner of the 2014 spring sports season!
Follow Tyler Donohue on Twitter @TDsTake