Flyers-Avalanche Preview: The Champs Are Here
At this time a year ago, the Flyers were in the midst of a 10-game losing streak, about to fire their head coach after a visit from the defending Stanley Cup champions and set to face another contender the next night. The loss that forced the team's hand to make a change behind the bench was against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Dec. 5, 2021. The night the change was made, the Colorado Avalanche were in town.
This year, the Avalanche return as the defending Stanley Cup champions, while the Flyers remain in a similar position.
Puck drop is at 7 p.m.
|Philadelphia Flyers||GP||G||A||P||Colorado Avalanche||GP||G||A||P|
|Kevin Hayes||25||8||17||25||Nathan MacKinnon||22||8||25||33|
|Travis Konecny||19||9||12||21||Mikko Rantanen||22||14||17||31|
|Joel Farabee||25||5||9||14||Cale Makar||22||6||17||23|
|Tony DeAngelo||25||3||9||12||Artturi Lehkonen||22||7||11||18|
|Ivan Provorov||25||1||10||11||Devon Toews||20||1||13||14|
Scott Laughton has been quiet production-wise since making his return to the lineup, but has made an impact in helping improve defensive structure. He'll look to get back on the scoresheet again.
Nathan MacKinnon had been slowed down a bit after a six-game points streak was snapped on Nov. 17. In the following six games, he had four points, but rebounded in a big way last Thursday with two goals and three assists against Buffalo.
Carter Hart faced limited action against the Devils on Saturday, but allowed three goals on 18 shots in the loss. He'll get the start on Monday against the Avalanche.
Alexandar Georgiev got the win in his last start on Dec. 1 against Buffalo, despite allowed four goals on 28 shots. He has won nine of his last 12 starts.
Flyers Scratches: Sean Couturier (injury), Cam Atkinson (injury), James van Riemsdyk (injury), Wade Allison (injury), Max Willman (healthy), Egor Zamula (healthy)
Avalanche Scratches: Artturi Lehkonen (injury), Jean-Luc Foudy (injury), Josh Manson (injury), Gabriel Landeskog (injury), Bowen Byram (injury), Valeri Nichushkin (injury), Evan Rodrigues (injury), Kurtis MacDermid (injury), Darren Helm (injury), Shane Bowers (injury)
- Flyers: Tanner Laczynski will come back into the lineup. Max Willman will be out. No other changes are expected.
- Avalanche: Both Artturi Lehkonen and Jean-Luc Foudy were injured in the team's last game and are day-to-day with injuries. Jayson Megna and Charles Hudon will come into the lineup for the two.
- Power Play: Flyers (32nd), Avalanche (1st)
- Penalty Kill: Flyers (23rd), Avalanche (22nd)
- Recent History vs. Avalanche
- March 25, 2022 - Avalanche 6, Flyers 3 (at COL)
- Dec. 6, 2021 - Avalanche 7, Flyers 5 (at PHI)
- Flyers Leaders vs. Avalanche
- Kevin Hayes: 13 GP, 6 G, 9 A, 15 P
- Zack MacEwen: 3 GP, 3 G, 0 A, 3 P
- Joel Farabee: 3 GP, 2 G, 1 A, 3 P
- Scott Laughton: 9 GP, 2 G, 0 A, 2 P
- Carter Hart: 2 GP, 0-2-0, 4.62 GAA, .885 SV%
Where to Watch
TV: NBC Sports Philadelphia
Radio: Flyers Broadcast Network
Philadelphia Flyers Uniforms Through The Years