Flyers-Sharks Preview: Jones Faces His Former Team
Following a seven-game points streak, the Flyers have been handed four straight losses, the first of those coming in the final game of the streak. Their next opponent is the team that started this new losing streak, the San Jose Sharks.
The Flyers will still be down several regulars as they take on the Sharks, who are also dealing with several absences, on Saturday night at Wells Fargo Center.
Game time is 7 p.m.
|Philadelphia Flyers||GP||G||A||P||San Jose Sharks||GP||G||A||P|
|Claude Giroux||32||11||18||29||Timo Meier||30||14||22||36|
|Cam Atkinson||34||14||11||25||Logan Couture||32||12||17||29|
|Travis Konecny||33||5||14||19||Tomas Hertl||35||17||11||28|
|Sean Couturier||29||6||11||17||Erik Karlsson||28||8||14||22|
|Joel Farabee||27||10||6||16||Alexander Barabanov||30||6||14||20|
Cam Atkinson added another goal in Thursday's game and seems to be one of the few producing with any regularity. He has five points in his last five games.
Timo Meier was held off the scoresheet in last week's game against the Flyers, but has been putting up points regularly. In just the last three games, he has one goal and four assists. He also had a goal and an assist against Arizona in the first game back from the NHL's pause, giving him seven points in the last five games.
Martin Jones gets the start against his former team on Saturday. Jones was last in goal on Jan. 1 for a 6-3 loss to the Los Angeles Kings. He allowed five goals on 33 shots. Jones had won three straight starts prior.
Adin Hill is expected to get the start for San Jose. Hill was in goal on Tuesday for a win over the Buffalo Sabres, making 37 saves on 39 shots. That was Hill's first win since Dec. 7. This will be Hill's second start since Dec. 16, as he continues to fill in for an injured James Reimer.
Flyers Scratches: Claude Giroux (COVID protocol), Ivan Provorov (COVID protocol), Travis Konecny (COVID protocol), Travis Sanheim (COVID protocol), Sean Couturier (injury), Ryan Ellis (injury), Nate Thompson (injury), Derick Brassard (injury)
Sharks Scratches: Logan Couture (COVID protocol), Lane Pederson (COVID protocol), James Reimer (injury), Erik Karlsson (injury), Jacob Middleton (injury), Kevin Labanc (injury), Nikolai Knyzhov (injury), Rudolfs Balcers (injury), Nicolas Meloche (healthy)
- Flyers:Nick Seeler and JacksonCates return from COVID protocol and will be back in the lineup on Saturday. Connor Bunnaman and Egor Zamula were moved to the Taxi Squad.
- Sharks: No changes are expected to the Sharks lineup, but they are down several players from last week's matchup against the Flyers. Logan Couture is in COVID protocol and James Reimer, Erik Karlsson, and Jacob Middleton are all out with injury.
- Power Play: Flyers (28th), Sharks (25th)
- Penalty Kill: Flyers (19th), Sharks (6th)
- Recent History vs. Sharks
- Dec. 30 - Sharks 3, Flyers 2 (F/OT) (at SJ)
- Flyers Leaders vs. Sharks
- Oskar Lindblom - 3 GP, 0 G, 4 A, 4 P
- Kevin Hayes - 20 GP, 8 G, 7 A, 15 P
- Martin Jones - 3 GP, 1-1-0, 1.29 GAA, .946 SV%
Where to Watch
TV: NBC Sports Philadelphia
Radio: Flyers Broadcast Network