Hermits Beat Rams in Battle of South Jersey Contenders
The St. Augustine Prep boys basketball team was expecting a tough game when they went up to the Garden State Parkway to Manahawkin; but not even they knew how close their game against Southern Regional would be.
It was a blistering pace in the back-and-forth game between the Hermits and Rams, as the two teams traded leads in each of the first three quarters.
Yet it was a strong start to the 4th quarter that proved to be the difference in the Saturday afternoon showdown. Leading 45-43 entering the final frame, the Hermits used a 7-0 run and some key foul shooting down to the stretch to eventually hold off Southern Regional, 65-58.
The Hermits improve to 8-1 with the road win, and head coach Paul Rodio is approaching his 800th career victory. The Rams drop to 5-3 on the season.
Listen to some of the best calls from broadcasters Mike Gill and Buddy Tarbotton, as heard live on 97.3 ESPN-FM:
Southern's Mike Gesicki throws down a monster dunk
Gesicki hits three-point shot at buzzer
St. Augustine Prep's Nathan Segal hits a three-pointer on a 5-0 run
St. Augustine Prep's Brian Seward closes out game with layup
And click here to watch a full replay of the entire game, brought to you exclusively by Matt Ulmer and Ulmer's Appliance Service of Ocean City
Here’s a preview of some of the other interviews from this week’s edition of the South Jersey Sports Report:
- Press of Atlantic City sports reporter Mike McGarry has more on both teams involved in Saturday afternoon's premier matchup, plus details on an emerging Cape-Atlantic League team and a brutal schedule for another postseason contender
- They may be known for their tremendously successful football program, but the St. Joseph Wildcats are also making noise on the hardwood this season. We asked their head coach about getting off to a good start in 2014, and what the expectations will be for his team into the spring
- The Ocean City Red Raiders basketball team picked up a huge victory over a regional rival this week. We spoke to their head coach about why their recent games are so close, and how his team is making up for a lack of size near the basket
- Only 20 girls basketball teams are fortunate enough to be selected each season for the South Jersey Invitational Basketball Tournament. We spoke with the head coach of the Holy Spirit Lady Spartans about the opportunity this year, and what his team needs to do to defend their Cape-Atlantic League Tournament title.
- Courier-Post sports writer Kevin Minnick explains how young one point guard helped an Olympic Conference underdog pull off a big upset this week, and which team has the edge in a matchup between two of South Jersey's best teams
- Press of Atlantic City sports reporter John O’Kane has the latest on South Jersey's best wrestling meets, and which standout athletes from local schools could end up on the winner's podium inside Boardwalk Hall
Listen to this week's show:
Tim Gallagher, St. Joseph Wildcats head basketball coach
Kevin Minnick, Courier-Post sports reporter
Dennis Smith, Holy Spirit Lady Spartans head basketball coach
John O'Kane, Press of Atlantic City sports reporter
John Bruno, Ocean City Red Raiders head basketball coach
Mike McGarry, Press of Atlantic City sports reporter
We’d also like to congratulate the South Jersey Athlete of the Week:
Basketball, St. Joseph
It’s all right here, on The South Jersey Sports Report. Listen every Saturday, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. on 97.3 ESPN-FM or 973espn.com, and catch the expanded edition every Thursday night from 6-7 p.m.
Follow Tyler Donohue on Twitter @TDsTake