A Long Island mother has come forward to explain why her son slugged a female Patriots fan following the Jets thrilling overtime win over the New England Patrots at Metlife on Sunday as new video has surfaced of the fight.

Screen shot of fight at Metlife Stadium after Jets-Patriots game
Screen shot of fight at Metlife Stadium after Jets-Patriots game (YouTube)

Colleen Paschke tells the New York Daily News her son Kurt, 38,  was protecting her from unruly Patriots fans who were harrassing them in the stands. “He’s the victim, really,” she told the newspaper.  “He was just concerned for his mother and himself.” She says the Pats fans jumped them as they were leaving. “He was just hitting back to defend himself,” she said. “It wasn't done deliberately. If you see the video, they just went wild.”

Colleen claims the woman punched by Kurt wiped blood off her face and threw it at her as they left.

Wayne is a season ticket holder who usually brings his dad to games but brought his mother because of the NFL's breast cancer awareness month activities. Colleen is a breast cancer survivor. He also drives a mini bus decked in Jets green to games.

Meanwhile, News 12 New Jersey has posted new video of the fight from a different angle.

State police spokesman Sgt. Adam Grossman says the video, which was posted by the website Deadspin, is being reviewed and an investigation is ongoing. He says no arrests have been made.

The viral video shows fans walking and fighting inside the stadium as they make their way to the parking lot.  Paschke, wearing a Wayne Chrebet jersey seems to be restrained and being led away from the situation when a woman with blonde hair wearing a white Patriots jersey approaches the Jets fan gesturing and yelling.

Paschke  punches the woman in the face. She backs away as the man is surrounded again by other fans. No stadium security personnel can be seen in the video clip.

In a statement, the Jets said, "We are aware of the situation, and we do not tolerate that behavior. Parties involved were detained, and this matter is now in the hands of the New Jersey State Police."

The website Deadspin says the incident began in the stands with two women fighting and continued on the way out.

More From 97.3 ESPN