Temperatures Drop, But High School Hoops Heating Up
South Jersey may have been hit with a nasty winter blast just days after the New Year's celebration, but it won't put a damper on high school sports in the area for very long.
The storm may have thrown a wrench into Friday's action, but several teams across South Jersey say they're ready to go in the limited games already scheduled for Saturday and beyond.
Two more games will get exclusive coverage by our high school hoops team this week, including Wildwood Catholic at Pleasantville live on 97.3 ESPN-FM. You can also log on to 973espn.com for exclusive coverage of Atlantic City at Middle Township. Both games tip-off at 7 p.m. on Thursday, January 9.
Check out our full schedule of high school games, or visit our High School Hoops Headquarters page
Here’s a preview of some of the other interviews from this week’s edition of the South Jersey Sports Report:
- She's one of South Jersey's best basketball players, and is hoping to lead her team to another deep postseason run. We asked one senior member of the Holy Spirit Spartans what's different in 2014, and what could be on the horizon at the next level
- The Holy Spirit boys basketball team is also off to a strong start on the young season. We asked the man behind the Cape-Atlantic League contenders about some of the challenges they'll likely face this year, and why a very tough out-of-conference schedule is actually a good thing for the Spartans
- Press of Atlantic City sports reporter Mike McGarry gives us his surprise Cape-Atlantic League team for 2014, and which January conference showdown he's already circling on his calendar
- Courier-Post sports writer Kevin Minnick has a look at hoops action in the Tri-County and Olympic Conferences, and also reveals which South Jersey high school football standout took home National Player of the Year honors from a prestigious recruitment website
- Press of Atlantic City sports reporter John O’Kane gives his list for the most improved high school wrestlers in South Jersey, and which contenders are likely to emerge in 2014
Listen to this week's show:
Kevin Minnick, Courier-Post sports reporter
Jamie Gillespie, Holy Spirit Spartans head basketball coach
John O'Kane, Press of Atlantic City sports reporter
Summer Crilley, Holy Spirit Spartans senior forward
Mike McGarry, Press of Atlantic City sports reporter
We’d also like to congratulate the South Jersey Athlete of the Week:
Basketball, Middle Township
The senior guard scored 29 points in opening-round action at the Boardwalk Basketball Classic. Fields drained three three-pointers in a victory.
It’s all right here, on The South Jersey Sports Report. Listen every Saturday, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. on 97.3 ESPN-FM or 973espn.com, and catch the expanded edition every Thursday night from 6-7 p.m.
Follow Tyler Donohue on Twitter @TDsTake