Heavyweights Roll in Season Opener
If the opening games for St. Joe's and Holy Spirit are an indication of things to come, there could be even more state titles on their way for both teams.
Broadcasted live on our airwaves, the Spartans dispatched a talented Hammonton team 30-0 in the 97.3 ESPN-FM Game of the Week.
We spoke with two members of the Holy Spirit football team after the game about their impressive performance, and what they expect in a showdown with St. Joe's next week.
Before traveling to Absecon next week, St. Joe's seemingly faced another tough road test in their opening game against Absegami. However, a pair of dynamic siblings made sure the Wildcats weren't looking ahead to Holy Spirit. Sa’Laam and A’Laam Horne accounted for more than 300 yards of total offense and four touchdowns in their 48-6 romp of the Braves.
Here's a preview of some of the other interviews from this week's edition of the South Jersey Sports Report:
- A one-time Margate resident and son of a former Atlantic City Surf player makes his Major League Baseball debut with the San Francisco Giants
- A former Cape-Atlantic League all-star quarterback sets three school passing records in his very first college football game
- One running back is making a name for himself early in 2013, all while filling some very big shoes at St. Augustine Prep
- A local high school football coach reflects on his first victory of the season, and his team's upcoming game against Atlantic City
- A recap of the weekend's best games with Press of Atlantic City sports reporter Mike McGarry
- A preview of Saturday's matchup between Ocean City and Cedar Creek from the press box in Egg Harbor City
Listen to this week's show:
Tony DeRosa, Egg Harbor Township Eagles head football coach
Mike McGarry, Press of Atlantic City sports reporter
Lamont Harris, St. Augustine Prep Hermits football (243 yards and 3 TDs in 48-14 victory)
Joe Callahan, Wesley College red-shirt sophomore QB & Holy Spirit graduate
Johnny Monell Jr., San Francisco Giants call-up & son of Atlantic City Surf player Johnny Monell Sr.
Tom Williams, South Jersey Hall of Fame sports reporter
We’d also like to congratulate the South Jersey Athlete of the Week:
The senior cruised past Kingsway defenders in Shawnee’s West Jersey Football League opener. DiOrio accounted for 173 rushing yards on 20 carries in a 25-19 victory.
It’s all right here, on The South Jersey Sports Report. Listen every Saturday, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. on 97.3 ESPN-FM or 973espn.com, and now catch the expanded edition every Thursday night from 6-7 p.m.
Follow Tyler Donohue on Twitter @TDsTake