Spartans Edge Wildcats in State Champion Showdown
Only one state championship team could leave the field in Absecon victorious on Friday night. Spartans quarterback T.J. Anderson did everything to make sure it was his.
The senior scored two touchdowns and even contributed on defense as Holy Spirit held off St. Joseph 31-28, in a matchup of defending state champions.
Anderson credited last year's bitter defeat in Hammonton as motivation for the Spartans, who were looking to beat the Wildcats for the first time in three years. After Holy Spirit secured an early 12-0 lead, the two teams traded scores in a back-and-forth contest that ultimately came down to a 4th down stand late in the game.
We welcomed Holy Spirit's signal caller into our studio for a breakdown of what went right against one of the best teams in South Jersey. Listen below to hear more about their "quest for four straight", and why they could be even more dangerous after a little time off.
Here’s a preview of some of the other interviews from this week’s edition of the South Jersey Sports Report:
- A pair of electrifying brothers has one Cape-Atlantic League squad flying out of the gate. They explain why their team won't be overlooked in 2013, and how they're changing the culture at their school and in the community
- One local high school coach also has his team at 2-0 after convincing victories. Find out what's working for his players, and why their next two games may be the most important of the season
- Press of Atlantic City sports writer Mike McGarry breaks down all the action in the Cape-Atlantic League, including which dark horse is emerging as a true postseason contender
- The Courier Post's Kevin Minnick breaks down the best Friday night games from across the West Jersey Football League, including which local player broke Joe Flacco's long-standing passing record
- Rutgers beat writer Sam Hellman explains why their upcoming matchup with Arkansas is the biggest non-conference home game in years. Also find out which former Cape-Atlantic League standout is set to make his South Jersey return... in a Razorbacks uniform
Listen to this week's show:
Kevin Minnick, Courier Post sports writer
Jason Durham, Millville Thunderbolts head football coach
Mike McGarry, Press of Atlantic City sports writer
Ronald and Nazir Williams, Bridgeton Bulldogs quarterback & wide receiver
Sam Hellman, Fox Sports Rutgers beat reporter
We’d also like to congratulate the South Jersey Athlete of the Week:
Surfing, Wildwood Crest
The 15-year-old surfing phenom snatched her first career pro championship on Sunday with a victory at the Foster’s Belmar Pro Surfing Contest. Peterson picked up a score of 9 on her final ride to claim a first-place finish.
It’s all right here, on The South Jersey Sports Report. Listen every Saturday, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. on 97.3 ESPN-FM or 973espn.com. Don't forget to miss Tyler on Thursday Night Live where each week we take the South Jersey Sports Report on the road at a different local establishment in our area, with the spotlight on high school football.
And 97.3 ESPN-FM has you covered every Friday night from 6-7 p.m. for “Countdown to Kickoff”, followed by our live coverage of one of the area's best games. It all wraps up with our post game at 10 p.m.
Follow Tyler Donohue on Twitter @TDsTake