Report: Eagles Adding Former Safety Anthony Harris
The Eagles are reportedly adding depth to their secondary by bringing back one of their former safeties Anthony Harris. ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter tweeted Tuesday morning that Harris would be coming back.
Harris, 31, was in camp with the Eagles, bit was released before the start of the season. He latched on with the Denver Broncos practice squad, but was released last week.
With injuries piling up at the safety position, Harris is back.
Starter C J. Gardner-Johnson is out for at least two more weeks and backup Reed Blankenship left last weeks game with a knee injury.
"Reed has done since he stepped into the lineup has been really nice, said Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni on Monday. "He can hit. He can cover. He can take the ball away. He's smart. He's fast. He's physical. We're happy we have him, that's for sure."
Harris was coached by Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon in Minnesota and knows the system well and should be able to step right in if needed.
"You guys know I love Anthony and he's done great job for us and helped us a lot last year, but when we had the chance to add Chauncey [C.J. Gardner-Johnson], that's what we decided to do. That kind of went into the decision of letting him go," Gannon said about releasing Harris back in camp.
Harris started 14 games last season, making 72 tackles, an interception, and three pass breakups.