Round 1, Game 4 Preview: Flyers-Canadiens
In Game 3, the Flyers did something they hadn't done since May 1, 2003. They won a playoff game by a score of 1-0.
It wasn't a perfect game from the Flyers, but it was a better game than the debacle in Game 2. Now the Flyers have a chance to take a commanding lead in the series against the Montreal Canadiens again, just as it hits a crucial point.
Games 4 and 5 fall on back-to-back days, and the Flyers can make Game 5 have a lot more meaning for them if they can get a win in Game 4.
Game 4 is set for 3 p.m.
|Philadelphia Flyers||GP||G||A||P||Montreal Canadiens||GP||G||A||P|
|Scott Laughton||6||3||2||5||Shea Weber||7||3||2||5|
|Kevin Hayes||6||0||4||4||Jesperi Kotkaniemi||7||4||0||4|
|Joel Farabee||4||2||1||3||Paul Byron||7||1||3||4|
|Jake Voracek||6||2||1||3||Jeff Petry||7||2||1||3|
|Travis Sanheim||6||1||2||3||Nick Suzuki||7||1||2||3|
|Player to Watch|
|13 Kevin Hayes||15 Jesperi Kotkaniemi|
|Last 5 Games: 0 G, 3 A, 3 P, +3||Last 5 Games: 2 G, 0 A, 2 P, +3|
|Projected Goalie Matchup|
|79 Carter Hart||31 Carey Price|
|5 GP, 4-1-0, 1.51 GAA, .949 SV%||7 GP, 4-3-0, 1.40 GAA, .953 SV%|
Game 3 was another bounce-back effort for Carter Hart. One game after allowing four goals in the Game 2 loss, Hart stopped all 23 shots he faced for his first career playoff shutout. Given the way the rest of the series has gone, it may take another performance like that from Hart to help the Flyers get the desired result in Game 4.
For the second time in the series, Carey Price played a solid game and took the loss. Price made 19 saves on 20 shots in the Game 3 loss, but didn't see near the shot volume that is needed to really put pressure on him. Price should be fresh and ready to go in this game, so peppering him with shots and trying to bring traffic to the net needs to be the formula for the Flyers.
Flyers Projected Lineup
|Left Wing||Center||Right Wing|
|28 Claude Giroux||14 Sean Couturier||93 Jake Voracek|
|21 Scott Laughton||13 Kevin Hayes||11 Travis Konecny|
|49 Joel Farabee||38 Derek Grant||12 Michael Raffl|
|82 Connor Bunnaman||44 Nate Thompson||18 Tyler Pitlick|
|9 Ivan Provorov||15 Matt Niskanen|
|6 Travis Sanheim||5 Phil Myers|
|8 Robert Hagg||61 Justin Braun|
|79 Carter Hart||37 Brian Elliott|
Canadiens Projected Lineup
|Left Wing||Center||Right Wing|
|90 Tomas Tatar||24 Philip Danault||11 Brendan Gallagher|
|13 Max Domi||14 Nick Suzuki||92 Jonathan Drouin|
|41 Paul Byron||15 Jesperi Kotkaniemi||62 Artturi Lehkonen|
|60 Alex Belzile||71 Jake Evans||40 Joel Armia|
|8 Ben Chiarot||6 Shea Weber|
|77 Brett Kulak||26 Jeff Petry|
|61 Xavier Ouellet||53 Victor Mete|
|31 Carey Price||39 Charlie Lindgren|
- Flyers: Both James van Riemsdyk and Nicolas Aube-Kubel are out of the lineup for Game 4. van Riemsdyk was rumored to be coming out for Joel Farabee, and Aube-Kubel had two shot blocks that staggered him in Game 3. He may be unfit to play, which would allow Connor Bunnaman to slot back into the lineup.
- Canadiens: The Canadiens stuck with the same lineup from Game 2 in Game 3 and it seemed to work, despite the loss. It would not be a surprise for Montreal to go back to that same lineup again for Game 4.
- Power Play: Flyers (24th), Canadiens (T-16th)
- Penalty Kill: Flyers (16th), Canadiens (6th)
- Recent History vs. Canadiens
- Nov. 7, 2019 - Flyers 3, Canadiens 2 (F/OT) (at PHI)
- Nov. 30, 2019 - Flyers 4, Canadiens 3 (F/OT) (at MTL)
- Jan. 16, 2020 - Canadiens 4, Flyers 1 (at PHI)
- Aug. 12, 2020 (Game 1) - Flyers 2, Canadiens 1
- Aug. 14, 2020 (Game 2) - Canadiens 5, Flyers 0
- Aug. 16, 2020 (Game 3) - Flyers 1, Canadiens 0
- Flyers Leaders vs. Canadiens (Career Regular Season Stats)
- Jake Voracek - 31 GP, 7 G, 22 A, 29 P
- Shayne Gostisbehere - 13 GP, 2 G, 12 A, 14 P
- Claude Giroux - 36 GP, 10 G, 16 A, 26 P
- James van Riemsdyk - 39 GP, 16 G, 9 A, 25 P
- Sean Couturier - 27 GP, 7 G, 12 A, 19 P
- Carter Hart - 4 GP, 2-2-0, 2.85 GAA, .913 SV%
Where to Watch
TV: NBC Sports Philadelphia/NBCSN
Radio: 97.3 ESPN
Kevin Durso is Flyers insider for 97.3 ESPN and Flyers editor for SportsTalkPhilly.com. Follow him on Twitter @Kevin_Durso.