Round 2, Game 3 Preview: Flyers-Islanders
The Flyers and Islanders were set to come right back from Game 2 and take the ice again just 25 hours later for Game 3. But the social injustice issues in the world and United States provided a reason to put everything on pause and take a break from hockey, for all the right reasons.
Players spoke out about these issues, how they vowed to listen and learn and how they want to be involved. Every game on Saturday will have an extended moment of solidarity and we are sure to see more displays of this in the coming weeks.
There is a game once again on Saturday, and after a few days of necessary reflection and conversation, it is time to get back on the ice. The Flyers and Islanders will be out there, and the team that comes out on top will once again be on top in the series.
Game 3 is set for 7 p.m.
|Philadelphia Flyers||GP||G||A||P||New York Islanders||GP||G||A||P|
|Kevin Hayes||11||3||6||9||Josh Bailey||11||2||9||11|
|Jake Voracek||10||4||4||8||Anthony Beauvillier||11||7||3||10|
|Sean Couturier||11||1||6||7||Mathew Barzal||11||3||6||9|
|Scott Laughton||10||3||2||5||Jean-Gabriel Pageau||11||6||2||8|
|Joel Farabee||9||3||2||5||Brock Nelson||11||3||5||8|
|Player to Watch|
|13 Kevin Hayes||44 Jean-Gabriel Pageau|
|Last 5 Games: 3 G, 2 A, 5 P, +4||Last 5 Games: 3 G, 0 A, 3 P, +6|
|Projected Goalie Matchup|
|79 Carter Hart||40 Semyon Varlamov|
|10 GP, 7-3-0, 1.97 GAA, .935 SV%||11 GP, 8-2-0, 1.76 GAA, .932 SV%|
The previously scheduled back-to-back made it much more of a question who would get the start. There's really no question now. It's back to Carter Hart. Hart was again sharp in Game 2, and despite allowing three goals, helped keep the Flyers in the game throughout and gave them a chance to win, all you can ask from your netminder.
It seemed like the Islanders plan was already established when Semyon Varlamov was pulled in the first period of Game 2. Yes, he struggled out of the gate, but this was an opportunity, with Game 3 today, to get Varlamov on the ice and be ready for that game. Expect Varlamov back in goal tonight after a short day on Wednesday.
Flyers Projected Lineup
|Left Wing||Center||Right Wing|
|28 Claude Giroux||14 Sean Couturier||93 Jake Voracek|
|49 Joel Farabee||13 Kevin Hayes||11 Travis Konecny|
|25 James van Riemsdyk||38 Derek Grant||62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel|
|12 Michael Raffl||44 Nate Thompson||18 Tyler Pitlick|
|9 Ivan Provorov||15 Matt Niskanen|
|6 Travis Sanheim||5 Phil Myers|
|8 Robert Hagg||61 Justin Braun|
|79 Carter Hart||37 Brian Elliott|
Islanders Projected Lineup
|Left Wing||Center||Right Wing|
|27 Anders Lee||13 Mathew Barzal||7 Jordan Eberle|
|18 Anthony Beauvillier||29 Brock Nelson||12 Josh Bailey|
|10 Derick Brassard||44 Jean-Gabriel Pageau||47 Leo Komarov|
|17 Matt Martin||53 Casey Cizikas||15 Cal Clutterbuck|
|3 Adam Pelech||6 Ryan Pulock|
|25 Devon Toews||24 Scott Mayfield|
|2 Nick Leddy||4 Andy Greene|
|40 Semyon Varlamov||1 Thomas Greiss|
- Flyers: No word on any lineup changes for the Flyers, but Scott Laughton was an interesting absence in Game 2. Vigneault would not comment on player availability, which could indicate that Laughton is battling an injury, but if he's able to play, the Flyers could use a player who is fresh and ready to go.
- Islanders: The Islanders will likely not make many changes to the lineup, especially now that the back-to-back in the series has been pushed back. They have some valuable depth in veterans Derick Brassard and Johnny Boychuk available, and both could see action if they want to inject some players who should have extra energy into the lineup.
- Power Play: Flyers (22nd), Islanders (T-14th)
- Penalty Kill: Flyers (14th), Islanders (20th)
- Recent History vs. Islanders
- Oct. 27, 2019 - Islanders 5, Flyers 3 (at NYI)
- Nov. 16, 2019 - Islanders 4, Flyers 3 (F/SO) (at PHI)
- Feb. 11, 2020 - Islanders 5, Flyers 3 (at NYI)
- Aug. 24, 2020 (Game 1) - Islanders 4, Flyers 0
- Aug. 26, 2020 (Game 2) - Flyers 4, Islanders 3 (F/OT)
- Flyers Leaders vs. Islanders (Career Regular Season Stats)
- Claude Giroux - 52 GP, 18 G, 38 A, 56 P
- Jake Voracek - 42 GP, 6 G, 27 A, 33 P
- James van Riemsdyk - 37 GP, 11 G, 17 A, 28 P
- Sean Couturier - 37 GP, 10 G, 18 A, 28 P
- Matt Niskanen - 38 GP, 4 G, 14 A, 18 P
- Carter Hart - 2 GP, 0-2-0, 6.23 GAA, .833 SV%
Where to Watch
Radio: 97.3 ESPN