Sal Pal Friday: Sal’s 3 Keys and Pick vs Rams
It's pick No. 1 of the 2016 NFL draft vs pick No. 2, but that's just one of the reasons this week's Eagles vs Rams game is intriguing.
Remember Carson Wentz leading the Eagles in their Super Bowl season to a wild 43-35 shootout victory out in LA , before leaving the game with a ACL injury, ending his season.
Wentz had 291 yards and four touchdowns in that game before turning things over to Nick Foles. In the 2018 matchup in Philly, while the Eagles won the game 30-23, it was Goff who had the big day, throwing for 339 yards in the loss.
Sunday's matchup is more of a mystery than the previous ones between coaches Doug Pederson and Sean McVay as both rosters have made some changes since their first meeting in 2017.
With that let's take a look at Sal Pal's 3 Keys to the game:
1. Balance on offense:
Sal Pal says: "If they don't have balance on offense, they lose the game"
2. How do you block Aaron Donald?
Sal Pal says: "They've got to block Aaron Donald"
3. Find the primary read for Goff and take him away:
Sal Pal says: "You have to find the primary read for Jared Goff. If he has to go to his secondary read he is in trouble."
Sal Pal's Pick: Eagles 20-17
According to ESPN stats & Info:
– This will be the 2nd career meeting between the top 2 picks of the 2016 NFL Draft: Jared Goff and Carson Wentz. Their only previous meeting was in Week 14 of the 2017 season. The Eagles won 43-35, but Carson Wentz tore his ACL late in the game. This led to Nick Foles taking over and winning a Super Bowl.
– Carson Wentz was sacked a career-high 8 times, and the Eagles lost a total of 52 yards on the 15 plays where Wentz was pressured. The Rams generated 15 pressures in Week 1, tied for 2nd most in the NFL.
– Carson Wentz and Jared Goff took different approaches in Week 1. Wentz averaged an NFL-high 12.3 air yards per attempt, while Goff averaged an NFL-low 3.9 air yards per attempt.
– Carson Wentz may want to keep his passes short going forward. He is 7-14 in his starting career when his average pass has exceed 9 air yards in a game. He is 25-11 when he keeps his average pass below 9 air yards.